Friday 16 November 2007

Back to work...

Today was my first day back at work after two weeks off.

A rather different day than usual, because whilst I was off my company ceased to exist and we all got allocated to one of three new franchises and thus to a new company. So now I have a new tie and a new name badge not to wear...

But it was all a bit strange.
Yes, I now work for a new company. We've even got some different trains - I was going to say "new trains", but that's not true; they're just new to us - some of which are in the new company's colours.
But....
Nothing else has changed. If there are problems with the service, I speak to the same people in the Control Office I always did - except they now work for a completely different company to me. If there are problems with the train, I speak to the same people I always did on the Maintenance Desk - except they, too, now work for a different company to me.

OK, I'm used to dealing with people who work for different companies to me whilst still being involved in operating the railway; most of the major stations I call at are staffed by different companies to mine, and of course the track and signalling is operated by Network Rail, but somehow this just feels different.

Weird, even.

Still, I'm sure I'll get used to it all - probably about the time my new employer sets up its own Control and I have to get used to another new set-up!

No comments: